One of my favorite quotes comes from one of my favorite people, Oprah: “Passion leads to purpose.”
But what if you don’t know what your passion is?
This Shot of Inspiration goes out to all of you passion seekers.
Thomas Ponce of Caselberry, Fla., said he found his purpose in life when he was four: To be a voice for voiceless animals.
The inspiration? A chicken nugget.
When he found out nuggets were made from chickens, he wanted nothing to do with any type of meat.
“As soon as I made that two-and-two connection — you know a chicken was killed to make a chicken nugget — I just decided I didn’t want to contribute to that cruelty anymore,” said Thomas.
Instead, he gained a voracious appetite for learning and teaching anyone who would listen about animal rights.
He joined animal rights organizations and when he was 12, created the website LobbyForAnimals.org, using it to teach thousands of people around the world how to lobby for animal rights.
He even inspired Florida State Senator David Simmons to draft a bill that protects sharks in Florida.
Here’s a look at my Go Inspire Go visit with Thomas in his hometown:
Starting the journey to finding your passion starts with the question: What is my passion? Then ask yourself, what do I like to do? And what do I not like doing?
A good place to begin is to think about what you naturally liked to do as a kid. I loved to read, write and talk. I even read shampoo bottles aloud in a pretend news anchor’s voice while bathing. This led me to a broadcasting, motivational speaking and teaching career.
What is that thing that excites you out of bed? What puts a sparkle in your eye when you talk about it? If money didn’t matter, what would you do?
Just start doing a little bit of that every week, whether it’s a few minutes or a few hours.
For more info on Thomas Ponce and more on my thoughts about igniting your passion, visit Go Inspire Go.
1. Learn more and support Lobby For Animals (www.lobbyforanimals.org)
2. Be the change. Find legislative issues affecting animals in your state, county, city or local community. Call and write your lawmakers.
3. Do whatever is in your power to take action against animal cruelty, testing and abuse.
* Send us inspiring things to feature.
* Twitter – twitter.com/toanlamtv
* Instagram – instagram.com/toanlamtv
* Facebook – facebook.com/toanlamtv
* Subscribe to my YouTube channel, youtube.com/toanlamtv! New videos every Saturday