For those of you who know me, y’all know I love to eat. This is to my fellow do-gooder foodies out there.
Karma Kitchen, aka KK, has my favorite things in one restaurant: kindness, compassion, generosity, great food and volunteer servers who treat you like family! That’s what’s on the menu at this restaurant, founded by my friends at ServiceSpace, a nonprofit that explores ways to combine technology and volunteerism.
And if things couldn’t get better, there are no prices on the menu!
KK partnered with Taste of the Himalayas, a restaurant in Berkeley, California, for what the folks at ServiceSpace called an “experiment in generosity.”
Nipun Mehta, founder of ServiceSpace told the San Francisco Chronicle, “None of us had ever run a restaurant. We had practically zero budget, and no staff. Looking back, one might think we were crazy.”
Here’s how it works:
- 10 to 12 volunteers cook and serve customers every Sunday
- YOU come and eat. Your meal was paid for by the customer before you. You’re welcome to pay what you can and want… all the proceeds go back to the community.
Love, love, love this idea. Community, kindness…
I ate there so I can say the only thing crazy about it was it was crazy good.
Here’s a video I created for my nonprofit, Go Inspire Go about KK:
Perhaps it’s the love put into making and serving the food or the volunteers who share the spirit of generosity or the conversations around the community table.
It truly was a unique, inspiring and transformative dining experience.
Good food and kindness are infectious. If you want a taste of goodness at Karma Kitchen, you’re in luck. This idea spread across the globe, with more than 20 KK’s to date.
So far, more than 58,000 meals have been served and more than 47,000 volunteer hours have been clocked! Here are all of the locations where you can get some food for our soul and stomach!
Cheers to generosity!
- Join the next Karma Kitchen in Berkeley. If you’re going on July 31, you can join me on the community table: RSVP here
- Volunteer to serve at Karma Kitchen — they currently have openings for starting Aug. 28.
- Do a small act of kindness, leave a Smile Card behind, telling the recipient to pay it forward and keep the chain going.
* Send us inspiring things to feature.
* Twitter – twitter.com/toanlamtv
* Instagram – instagram.com/toanlamtv
* Facebook – facebook.com/toanlamtv
* Subscribe to my YouTube channel, youtube.com/toanlamtv! New video every Saturday.